Tolly Boy Rice is proud to be a part of National Rice Week to celebrate the wonder of rice.
This year the National Rice Week will be taking place from the 19th to 26th of September to help increase consumer confidence about cooking rice at home and educate people about the versatility of rice in recipes.
Along with the National Rice Association, Tollyboy aims to dispell the myth that cooking rice is tricky and show how it’s many varieties can be easily combined into any home cook’s repetoire. Rice is one of the world’s greatest gluten-free grains and used in meals, dishes and recipes the world over. Rice is a gorgeous, nutritious, aromatic and versitile grain limited only by a cook’s creativity.
Quick Rice Facts:
• Rice is the main food for half the worlds population
• Rice is cultivated on every continent except Antarctica
• There are over 29,000 grains in one pound of long grain rice
• Rice is the symbol of life and fertility, which is why it is thrown at weddings
• The Chinese word for rice is the same as their word for food
Easy Tips to Cook Rice :
Parboiled/Easy Cook/Precooked Rice – Add rice to double the amount of boiling water, stir and cover. Reduce to a medium heat and cook for 15-20 minutes. Once cooked, drain and return to the pan (off the heat) to stand for a few minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Wholegrain/Brown Rice – Add rice to a large pan of boiling water, add rice and cook for 25-30 minutes. Drain and return to the pan off the heat to stand for a few minutes. Fluff with a fork.
How to make the perfect Biryani – the Tolly Boy way
Serves: 2-3 people
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
• 2 thinly sliced chicken breasts
• 150g of uncooked Tolly Boy Basmati rice
• 1 jar of Patak’s Mild & Fruity Biryani Sauce
• 4 tbsp of water
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4
2. In a saucepan, stir fry the chicken breasts in a little oil for three minutes
3. Pour over a jar of Patak’s Mild & Fruity Biryani Sauce and add the uncooked Tolly Boy Basmati Rice and 4tbsp of water.
4. Bring to the boil, pour into an ovenproof dish and cover with a tight fitting lid.
5. Place in the oven for 35 minutes
Recipe Courtesy: Tolly Boy
In a prelude to National Rice Week everything you ever wanted to know about rice from recipes to tips and competitions can be found on the newly created website: www.loverice.org